What a weekend.
It all started off with me having a poop-load of school work to do (you know, research, paper writing, exam studying, etc.) so naturally Daniel and I hung out at Einstein's and Starbucks... a lot.
Then, I had to house sit for my roommate Tia about 25 minutes away. As if that wasn't enough, her cat died while we were there. Side note, as a pet owning virgin, I was ever thankful that Daniel was there to help deal with the situation. There's nothing more sad then seeing a stroke-ridden cat struggle to breath and watching it die over the course of a few days.
To top it all off, it had been 2 weeks since we had seen each other, a "Daitlin" first (yeah, that's our name, be jealous). It was the longest we had gone without seeing one another and boy was it rough.
All that to say that seeing Daniel this weekend was the highlight of everything.
Today in church, Greg the Pastor talked about the Gospel. He said that it's impossible to hear the Gospel and not have it impact and change you for the better. If you haven't been changed, you haven't accepted it, and that's the cold hard truth. It's impossible to hear that God sent his only son to live and be crucified on this planet only to grace us with the forgiveness of sin. So because of everything that happened this weekend (dead cat, quality time, church service) it got me thinking.
I am one of the most undeserving people I can think of. There's nothing that says I should have the wonderful (albeit roach-ridden) house that I have, the friends that I do, or the gifts that I have been given. But most of all, I don't deserve to have the wonderful boyfriend that I do.
Yes, all girls deserve to be treated right by their male counterparts, but if we're keeping tallys then I deserve someone who eats more cake and coke than necessary, whines about the littlest of things when the word stress is even mentioned and is never able to drive to see me because he's always too busy. And yet, here I am, sitting next to the most wonderful guy a girl could ask for.
There's no reason why I should be graced with such a wonderful gift in my life. None, nada, zilch. And day in and day out I never cease to be amazed by Daniel. From knowing about Speculose (and all that goes wonderfully with it-hint hint, Oreos) to killer possibly-African beetle species that have infiltrated the US via Nashville to drawing beer schematics, he knows everything, including how to make me feel like the most special person in the world.
Every now and then, Daniel will sort of let his guard down and just say whatever is on his mind. Truly, it's one of my features about it. Often times, in his bouts of true honesty, he'll say something about how beautiful I am and how much he cares for me. It's a perfect window into his heart and I can see just how much he cares about me.
And no matter how many times I mess up or fail, he's always there to catch me. One might say he's my catcher in the rye (although I'm not 100% sure that metaphor works. Sorry, math major here). He's saved me from some of my worst times and he's always willing to help me back on my feet.
I don't deserve you, Daniel, and yet here you are, spending hours in some sort of moving vehicle just to be sitting next to me while I work furiously on my paper. I don't know how I was lucky enough to catch your eye but you can bet that cute little booty of yours that I won't be letting go... ever.

No comments:
Post a Comment