Sunday, December 2, 2012

A "Smack" Above The Rest

This past week has been filled with so many crazy and new things! To name a few:

1. it's December... finally
2. Daniel and I had our 9 month anniversary (275 days-whaddup!)
3. it's shorts weather in Knoxville (crazy!!)
4. it's now acceptable to start decorating for the holidays
and my least favorite of them all...
5. everyone is having relationship issues (tis the season, I guess)

Over the past week, I've had 3 really intense conversations with 3 different friends about their relationships. The first was about a crazy ex-boyfriend who became controlling and needy. The second was about a boyfriend who disrespects her more times than not and brings out the worst in her. The third, an anxious relationship that came to an end when they stopped being passionate with one another and instead became distant. Each conversation was filled with different problems, different issues, different situations, but all of them were extremely saddening. 

However, the Lord used all of these conversations to highlight something that has seemed to slip into the background.

I have always loved Daniel and there hasn't ever been a moment when I didn't feel extremely passionate about him. But sometimes I get beaten down by our situation and the distance between us. Sometimes I miss him so much that all I can think about how much it sucks to be in a place where I have to wait 2 weeks to see him (thank God for Shepesh and Piggy #1). It's in these moments that I loose sight of the true matter at hand.

But not this week. During each of these conversations, I would listen to the problems of my heartbroken friend and each time it made me think about what we, as women, truly deserve out of a relationship. And it was in those moments, after encouraging my friend that there will be better and that those perfect guys do exist, that I truly saw how blessed I am. Sure, Daniel and I have very different passions, but we have become passionate about new things BECAUSE of each other. Before March 1, 2012, I wouldn't have ever brewed beer or even more so, gone rock climbing, and Daniel would never have taken a hip hop dance class. And yet here we are, 9 months later, having done all of those and then some, simply because it was important to the other one. Sure, Daniel can bro out with all of the BrO'Connels, but throughout all of that he still treats me with the upmost respect. Sure, Daniel and I want to spend every waking moment together, but we both understand the importance of investing in our friends, even if that does mean that sometimes we have to be away from each other for a little bit. And finally, Daniel and I are far from perfect people (but we are perfect piggies!) but our imperfections complement each other. When we first started dating, my concern was whether or not he would be able to devote as much time to me as I needed. But sure enough, one night as we stayed up talking with one another, he confessed that he has a tendency to want to spend too much time with whoever he dates. He told me he can get a bit overwhelming and that if he ever starts to suffocate me and if I ever wanted more time alone, to just let him know. Yes, we both have imperfections as a result of the past 22 years, and yet somehow they complement each other so perfectly. 

I've always loved Daniel-a love that's never wavered, never faltered, never been second-guessed. Yet sometimes I get so caught up in missing him that I can't understand why we have to go through this. But if we weren't so madly in love, would the distance matter? Probably not. It's because we're so passionate about each other that the thought of being away is sickening. And as much as I hate seeing my friends in terrible relationships, I couldn't be more thankful that the Lord used them to emphasize the underlying current of our relationship: a piggy perfect passion. 

I can't wait to see you, boo bear. 4 days :(=))

No comments:

Post a Comment